Thursday, June 28, 2012

IN THEATERS: Beasts of the Southern Wild

I remember hearing the buzz from Sundance and Cannes about the independent film Beasts of the Southern Wild. The story and extremely cute lead character instantly grabbled my attention. Well Beasts of the Southern Wild is finally here! Opening this week in New York and Los Angeles with most major cities following in July.

The film takes place from the magical viewpoint of the six year old heroine, Hushpuppy, in a secluded bayou area on the southernmost tip of Louisiana. She's faced with her father's failing health as she fights for survival in the wake of a Katrina-like storm. Her world of myths and wonders is filled with wild animals, both real and imaginary.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this film. Being from Louisiana, it seems to really capture the spirit, culture and resilience of the people there. I love that director Benh Zeitlin (his first feature film!) used nonactors and natives to South Louisiana. Zeitlin discovered a gem in little Quvenzhané Wallis, the New York Times says she's "an untrained sprite who holds the camera’s attention with a charismatic poise that might make grown-up movie stars weep in envy". Now that is awesome!

Check out the trailer below.

3 comments:

  1. I saw this movie yesterday and was absolutely amazed how Quvenzhané Wallis took over such a large role. It's a really good story and I loved the supernatural element. It's really a David and Goliath story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you will be amazed that the story goes like that, I am really impressed with the super natural element that they brought in the movie.


      -----------
      Graphic Design Los Angeles

      Delete
  2. I finally saw the film this past weekend and it was AMAZING!! Quvenzhané Wallis blew me away! I'm glad you guys enjoyed it.

    Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Hi everyone!

Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

If you're having trouble leaving comments, please contact me: boutiqueboheme@gmail.com

hugs 'n kisses!
Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...