Tuesday, June 18, 2013

How to Style a Kitchen in a Rental Space

Let's be honest, kitchens in rentals can be frustrating. You have no say in the cabinetry or the types of appliances. If you're lucky, you may end up with a good wall color, but typically it's your standard white. Well not to worry, rental kitchens are not your enemy. There are ways to dress them up and add your personal touch. Here's a few tips on how I dressed up my own kitchen and made it my own.
A rental kitchen is your chance to try something outside of the box. Choose a theme, a vibrant color or even a bold pattern. You want to draw the eye away from the standard fixtures and furnishings. I chose a Parisian theme for my own. Let your imagination go wild! 

Flowers breathe new life into an interior, so use them to liven up the kitchen as well. Herbs, air plants or cut flowers are great for window ledges and countertops.
Painting the walls was not an option in my own space, because it would require painting it back white before I move. Instead, add a pop of color to a pantry door or the backsplash. It's a smaller area and will be easier to paint over. I wanted my kitchen to be fun and whimsical so I chose chalkboard paint.  Chalkboards in the kitchen are great for recipes, grocery lists or even just a fun sketch. It also keeps little hands very busy. My goddaughter's love it!
Instead of a small kitchen mat, use a runner to cover more surface area. It's another way to add instant color and pattern. Lastly, an easy touch of color is with fruits and veggies. Oranges, lemons and avocados look great on display. 


***

Resources:
Rust-Oleum Specialty Specialty 29-oz. Tintable Chalkboard Paint - Periwinkle Home Depot
Olin Black 2'x6' Runner $49.95 Crate and Barrel
4x6 Postcards from Paris $12.00 TheParisPrintShop
Mix It Up Dishtowel $4.95 Crate and Barrel
[similar] Petal Hook $10.00 Anthropologie


4 comments:

  1. Your kitchen is absolutely adorable and I have to pin these soon. Great tip on the runner especially for galley kitchens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found ya via Miya @ Design Indulgences. Great stuff lady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for checking me out. I'm happy to have you!!

      Delete

Hi everyone!

Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

If you're having trouble leaving comments, please contact me: boutiqueboheme@gmail.com

hugs 'n kisses!
Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...