Friday, August 30, 2013

FRIDAY'S DISH: "Dry" Potato Salad

POSTED BY: CRESSIDA

I talk to my mom almost everyday and at some point during our conversations the talk swings right around to, what else...food. The other day while having our daily chat, I found out that I have one very unique thing in common with my late grandmother, Dorothy. I am a lover of what she called “dry” potato salad, just as she was. Unlike the creamy tangy kind I grew up eating, made with a little mustard and sweet pickle relish, the type of potato salad I like showcases the silky starchiness of the potato itself with just a few simple ingredients and very little mayonnaise.

I first tasted this particular version at a cute little Argentinian steakhouse not too far from my apartment here in Queens. When I have a craving for carbs and more specifically a hankering (yes, I said “hankering”) for potatoes, I look to this simple recipe to hit the spot.

What you need:
  • 4 medium Russet potatoes scrubbed
  • ½ medium onion, finely diced
  • ¾ cup frozen peas & carrots
  • 1 cup of good quality mayonnaise
  • Salt & Pepper to taste

What to do:
Peel and dice the potatoes into about 1 inch pieces and cover them with cold water in a large saucepan. DO NOT SALT THE WATER! (Potatoes will become mealy and you don’t want that.) Bring the pot to a boil and then lower the heat  and simmer until tender, testing them with a knife. Drain the cooked potatoes in a colander and allow to cool.
In a large glass bowl combine the vegetables and the cooled potatoes with the mayonnaise and season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi everyone!

Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

If you're having trouble leaving comments, please contact me: boutiqueboheme@gmail.com

hugs 'n kisses!
Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...