Monday, October 21, 2013

DIY: Easy Peasy Coffee Tabletop

This DIY is long overdue since I've been enjoying my coffee table now for many months. I found this Danish-style coffee table base at a thrift store for 25 dollars. I almost passed on it since the top was missing, but for such a small amount of money, I had to buy it!

I wasn't quite sure what to do for the tabletop. Should I have glass cut or even have a custom wood tabletop made? My mind was spinning at all of the possibilities. Then my Dad suggested that we just make a wood top ourselves. Well of course we should! So one Saturday morning, we gathered some materials and made a tabletop. It turned out perfectly!
Here are the materials:
Wood Slab
Wood Stain
Polyurethane
Brush
80-120 Grit Sandpaper
Electric Jigsaw
Safety Glasses
The proper way to draw the curved edges is probably to use a compass. I didn't have a compass on hand at my parents house so I made two markings on a paint can, then lined those points to the edges of the wood. It worked perfectly! Next, put on those safety glasses and cut the curved edges using a jigsaw.
With sandpaper, smooth the edges and both sides of the wood. Once complete, wipe down the wood with a damp cloth and let dry.
With a brush, paint on the first coat of stain going with the grain. 
Wipe off excess using a cloth. Let first coat dry and then give it a once over with the sandpaper again. Remove any dust with a cloth and then apply second coat of stain.
Once you're satisfied with the darkness of the stain, sit it outside to let dry. The next day I added 2 coats of polyurethane in a satin finish and let the top completely dry for 48 hours. I then fixed the top to the base with small brass bench anchors.

My new coffee table and I then drove from Louisiana back to Dallas...
and voila! Here's the lovely table in action.
 Thanks to my Dad for his expert help! xoxo


5 comments:

  1. Hi there! New reader here. Coming over from the HD style challenge announcement. I love the table top. It looks like it belonged there the entire time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shavonda! Thanks so much for coming on over from HD to visit my blog. I love the table top too...it turned out great!! =)

      Delete

Hi everyone!

Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

If you're having trouble leaving comments, please contact me: boutiqueboheme@gmail.com

hugs 'n kisses!
Angela

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...